Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is one of the best anime to come out in recent years. With bold colors and a unique art style, it stands out amongst the rest.
If you enjoyed Kimetsu no Yaiba, here are some anime that are similar in their characters, themes, and overall feel. Hopefully there’s something on this list you have yet to watch or fully catch up on!
5 Anime Like Demon Slayer
Synopsis: In Japan’s Warring States period, Lord Daigo Kagemitsu makes a pact with 12 demons, exchanging his unborn son for the prosperity of his lands. The child is born malformed and is set adrift in a river, while Kagemitsu’s lands thrive as promised. Years later, young thief Dororo encounters the mysterious “Hyakkimaru”, a boy whose arms are blades and whose visionless eyes seem able to see monsters.
Source: Amazon Prime
Why Dororo Is Like to Demon Slayer
Perhaps the most similar anime to Demon Slayer is Dororo, and it was one of my top releases of 2019. If you aren’t familiar with the studio behind the series, MAPPA, they have done some of my favorite work. They are also the studio behind The God of High School, which just began airing on July 6th. Here’s more reasons why Dororo is similar:
- Both live in a world where demons reside with demon slayers seeking to extinguish them
- Setting exists in traditional Japan
- Main character has lost something that mean’s a lot to them at the hands of another and are on a journey to get back what was wrongfully taken from them/those they love
- A strong connection exists between the two main characters, one who is an actual sibling and the other who is like one.
- Thrilling action sequences involving the use of swords
- Each have a unique style and great animation
Where to watch Dororo: Amazon Prime Video
First Impressions of The God of High School
My Hero Academia
Synopsis: In a world where eighty percent of the population has some kind of super-powered Quirk, Izuku was unlucky enough to be born completely normal. But that won’t stop him from enrolling in a prestigious hero academy.
Why My Hero Academia Is Like Demon Slayer
Boku No Hero is somewhat of an obvious choice for this post, but the two have quite a few parallels that warrant it to be mentioned. These are both extremely popular releases that, while great, still receive some hate just because they are more mainstream and highly talked about series. But, their similarities go way past the fact that they’ve blown up in recent years. Check them out below!
- Both are shounen full of action and fight scenes
- Two groups, heroes vs. villains and demons vs. slayers, are battling it out
- Deku and Tanjiro have very similar personalities with both being gentle, hardworking, and willing to do whatever it takes to protect the ones they care about
- Main characters are highly motivated to become stronger and train extensively with their teachers
Where to watch My Hero Academia: Hulu, Crunchyroll, Funimation
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Synopsis: Hunters are a special breed, dedicated to tracking down treasures, magical beasts and even other people. But such pursuits require a license, and less than one in a hundred thousand can pass the grueling qualification exam. Those who do pass gain access to restricted areas, amazing stores of information and the right to call themselves “Hunters.” Can Gon, a country boy, follow his father and join their ranks?
Why Hunter x Hunter Is Like Demon Slayer
Hunter x Hunter as a whole may be different than Demon Slayer, but there are a few arcs, particularly the Chimera Ant Arc, as well as some personalities and themes that make the two similar to one another. Here’s some reasons as to why:
- Both are shounen full of action and adventure
- At different points, the main characters lose a person/people close to them and they seek to avenge them
- Both have villains that are inhuman and feel they are superior to the human race
- Contain darker themes than most shounen
- Have extremely likable characters
Where to watch Hunter x Hunter: Netflix (4 seasons), Hulu (2 seasons), Crunchyroll
Synopsis: In a world where magic is everything, Asta and Yuno are both found abandoned at a church on the same day. While Yuno is gifted with exceptional magical powers, Asta is the only one in this world without any. At the age of fifteen, both receive grimoires, magic books that amplify their holder’s magic. Asta’s is a rare Grimoire of Anti-Magic that negates and repels his opponent’s spells. Being opposite but good rivals, Yuno and Asta are ready for the hardest of challenges to achieve their common dream: to be the Wizard King. Giving up is never an option!
Why Black Clover Is Like Demon Slayer
Most shounen, as seen with My Hero Academia and Hunter x Hunter, share similarities with Demon Slayer. Black Clover is another high-energy and action-based anime within this category that you’ll most likely enjoy. Here’s some reasons why:
- Action-packed and full of interesting battles
- Main characters work hard to become the best they can be to achieve their goals
- Main characters use swords to fight
- Both Asta and Tanjiro come from humble beginnings
- Both have unique styles that are in a league of their own
Where to watch Black Clover: Hulu, Crunchyroll, Funimation
Attack on Titan
Synopsis: The battle to retake Wall Maria begins now! With Eren’s new hardening ability, the Scouts are confident they can seal the wall and take back Shiganshina District. If they succeed, Eren can finally unlock the secrets of the basement—and the world. But danger lies in wait as Reiner, Bertholdt, and the Beast Titan have plans of their own. Could this be humanity’s final battle for survival?
Why Attack on Titan Is Like Demon Slayer
Shingeki no Kyojin is about to reach its conclusion with its final season coming this Fall, but if you have yet to start or catch up on the series, you should, especially if you are a fan of Demon Slayer’s darker, more gory side. Here are some reasons why you’ll like it:
- Full of dynamic and thrilling action scenes
- Based in a similar time period
- Main characters experience similar traumas, like losing one’s family
- Each have a group (Demon slayers, Survey Corps) that are fighting against a threat to humanity (Titans, demons)
- There is an air of mystery within both and MC’s are searching for answers
- Main villains eat humans
- Get bloody and gory on many occasions throughout
- Contain darker themes
- They both have a whiny, slightly annoying character (Zenitsu and Armin) you still somehow like
Where to watch Attack on Titan: Hulu, Netflix (1 season), Crunchyroll, Funimation
Also worth watching if you like Demon Slayer: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Seraph of the End, Sirius the Jaeger, Goblin Slayer, Noragami and Fire Force.
In other news, check out all the new anime releasing in July 2020!